Sunday 19 September 2010

guest blog 3 Bikes and Bruises (Pat Cook)

It has taking over half a century but I have finally done it, I have moved round the car park on two wheels. It couldn't be called cycling as on the first turn I managed to fall off, good job I thought it was better to be safe and wear J,s helmet as with the momentum of hitting the ground I managed to hit my head on a tree! Many moons ago I was told by my Nan if at first you don't succeed try try again, so I got back on adjusting the saddle as low as possible I had another go. I was going great guns and even thought I may venture out of the car park,however the confidence was short lived when I realised that i couldn't brake steer and peddle all at the same time (like when you first learn to drive and think I will never be able to mirror signal manoeuvre all at once )although I have to say I have found driving considerably easier than riding a bike .The next fall was even more spectacular as I wasn't riding at the time but trying to dismount and got caught up with the crossbar J,s trainers that I was wearing as all my own footwear was totally unsuitable (another lifetime habit).
Giving up on the physical stuff, we reverted to eating and drinking! Terry and I managed to masquerade as Miss Marple and Poirot trying lunch at a nearby bar. Not normally one to strike up a lengthy conversation with complete strangers we managed to find out why this bars trade was on the decline without being found out as snoopers from the Bar Des Tilleuls. Of course the reason had nothing to do with the fact that if I hadn't spoken to the owner he had no intention of passing the time of day with the clientele he was running a French bar English style and the TV probably came from his lounge back home.
its amazing the number of people who don't try to learn the language but still get by with Bonjour Bonsoir.Still we met some real characters of both nationalities especially the two guys last Saturday who were dropped of for the footie by their wives who uttered the words we can score another couple of goals in extra time( Man U ) only for the other team to then do just that Oh they wont live that one down for a while, but they were great fun.
We met some lovely people, all without exception love the Bar Des Tilleuls the warm welcome,the food and the house speciality the waffle is to die for (sorry cant spell the french word for waffle) (it's Gaufre ) I am still not sure how I gets away with the claim that the waffles are all only one calorie though!
.Finally the wedding reception last saturday what a great night. We had a buffet by Dawn from the cafe in Civray mentioned in Toute Allure, carrot cake her speciality although the Irish band wasn't Irish they were nevertheless very good .I suppose I would have liked to have Karen Wheeler sign my copy of her book however after my cycling attempt the thought of my two left feet line dancing is just a step to far. Well until our next trip to Champniers under the guise of a little support for J and I , we had great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment