Monday 28 June 2010

One week on

A week has passed since I wrote we were fighting our way through forests of cobwebs. We have moved on, we are now on grease. Not the screwed up economy type, or the arms flailing, white suited type but the two year old chip cooking type. It's everywhere, on the floor, on the walls, in the ovens, on the plates and in the cooking utensils. If you had seen the deep fat fryer, you would never eat chips again. ( I lie, I have, I will) I remember from reading my old Austin 1100 Haynes Manual, it used to say grease liberally. I am sure the book is here somewhere having been used as a cleaning manual

The village, we are pleasantly suprised, shows some signs of life. It is a very small village, approx 400 people and one shop, the baker. This shop is however worth a visit. It is run by the baker, who must be sixty, together with his "girlfriend" and his mum and dad. He sells a bit of everything from the papers to gas bottles but most importantly he makes superb bread. We were a little concerned about the size of the village when the Mayor when asked the number of inhabitants told us approx 400 and then stressed "but there are another 676 in the cemetery" I don't think they will be buying much coffee and beer but if the business needs a boost perhaps I could start selling flowers at the gate

There is an interest in the cafe from the locals which is encouraging. We had only been here a couple of days when the Keep Fit group came to ask if they could book their end of season meal with us. They must have been all over 60, in fact they could have come from the 676!
We have had enquiries from the local expats, There are a good number of Les Anglais around and there is a very good communication network, telling people what is on which we will make use of when we open.

The new equipment is starting to arrive, the ice maker, the gaufrier ( waffle maker) the panini cooker and of course the big plasma. We have had to watch the world cup on the internet but on Saturday we got the two dishes put up and now have TV. I am so glad that I was able to watch the Germany game in luxury! Like Frankie I hit the bar in the second half but maybe not for the same reason. At least we lasted longer than Les Bleus!

One thing I have noticed is how the people here are so helpful. The tradesmen turn up every day!.The plumber noticing I was attempting to remove some bushes told me to stop and that afternoon returned with a chain saw for me to use, saving me no end of work. Another day I was on my hands and knees cleaning, lost in a blast of Pink Floyd when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I jumped, not expecting anyone to be around, to find the postman had found his way to the kitchen to tell me he had a parcel for me. My recollection from the UK was that when you were expecting a parcel you would get a leaflet through the door and have to go and collect it yourself, not postie making an effort! The dechetterie ( tip) is another example. The first time I went there I parked and thought that my trailer was being stolen. It wasn't, the assistant had unhooked it to take it to the skip and unload it for me. Wednesday night we had a visit from the Gendarmes, about 10.30. they had seen a light on and come to make sure everything was OK. They stayed for an hour, talking about the community, the English / French mix, the best beer to sell, the French football team and just about everything else.

The more we see of life in the village, the more pleased we are with our decision. All we have to do now is get the cafe open and see if they like us as much as we like them

No comments:

Post a Comment