Tuesday 20 July 2010

Getting Closer


10 days left to opening. There is no way we realised just what we had let ourselves in for and the amount of work involved. We have been here 5 weeks and every day has been 12 hours plus, with just two or three half days for "leisure".
We are now clean, The living accommodation is nearly fully redecorated and the bar painting is complete.
The diary is full of promised delivery dates for equipment needed by next Friday. We hope it arrives as promised!! These include the coffee mill, the pool table, darts machine, the patio furniture, new tables for the bar, a changed sign outside, getting the terrace cleaned, bar accessories, new cups and saucers, new glasses and THE BEER.
J has the list of the local "important and / or good" to invite for the opening. The Mayor, who is performing the opening. gave her the list and he had written his name at the top of the list. The quandry now is do do we ring him to remind him,

I am into menus. setting prices, ordering stock. Where do you get prices from for drinks? I was lost. The brasserie suggest a stock list and beer is price controlled so that's easy but what price should 4cl of Suze be or 2cl of Eau de Vivre Poire? I am off today to have a drink in a couple of local bars, not that I want a drink, I am going to steal their price lists.

Laurie is still with us, decorating and perfecting Gaufre making . Sister Moira arrives today for a week to help. ( not that type of Sister, no habits or hymn books)
I am going to ask her to be the first guest blogger so look out next week.
She brings with her the Zoller ice cream scoops. These are apparently the best in the world, they have a liquid in the handle which warms when you hold it and makes the ice cream boule slip out easier and be perfectly shaped.
I know this as I spent hours on the internet looking into ice cream. Two boules of ice ceam sell for €2 but what size is the boule supposed to be. Zoller make six sizes of scoop from 1oz to 4oz and tell you the number of boules you get from a gallon of ice cream. They dont say if thats an american gallon or an imperial gallon and it doesnt help anyway as I have just order my ten flavours of ice cream in litres!!!

Our friendly flies are still with us, perhaps in slightly less numbers but as annoying as ever. My fault, i didnt see the placards the little buggers were waving at me "kill me and a thousand will come to my funeral"

must go, work to do

No comments:

Post a Comment